29 Oct 2017

How the brain works

Hi everyone. As a teacher of English  I reinforce the foreign language in different ways. One of them is to listen to somebody who speaks English as his/her first mother tongue. That encourages me to improve the language I teach. Anyway, I'm telling you this because I'm a follower of Ted's lectures and I want to share the last I have watched and where Joe Dispenzam, who has a Bachelor of Science degree, gives a TED talk about the brain’s composition and the role of its parts in building our experiences up and creating emotions.
He begins by giving us an overview of the functions of the three independent brains we have, which are composed by billions of connected neurons. First of all, he states the neocortex is the most evolved part and the seat of conscious awareness. It gathers information and, as a consequence, this part of the brain changes physically due to the production of a new connection between neurons. Then, we have acquired a new experience. He goes on talking us through what is the limbic brain (emotional brain), which receives the response from different patterns of neurons and regulates internal chemical order. When chemicals are realised in the emotional brain, we get an emotion, one that will be still remembered after some time. Moreover, he claims that routine lulls the brain to sleep. Mr. Dispenza mentions the cerebellum, which is the seat of subconscious mind.
It is surprising because, although the three parts of the brain work individually, they give us memories of our experiences! 
Here you have the lecture.



It reminds me to a mindmap I made with year 6 students last school year. 
Here you have:

No comments:

Post a Comment